About Me

My photo
This summer, I am an intern at Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church in Sylva, NC through Project Connect. I will be attempting to discern whether I am being called to public ministry (ie being a pastor). This blog will cover all sorts of things I learn about, things that I find interesting and decide to pass on. It will also be about other fun stuff I am doing here in the mountains :D

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Kronos, Kairos, and Zelot, among other things.

So, I definitely have been meaning to post the past day or two, but it's been CRAZY! I'm not sure why, exactly, but it just has been. Last week, we had the orientation for the internship, and this week we have Synod Assembly. Luckily next week doesn't look so hectic.

Today was kind of a rough day, because it was the day that PR and I went through the hymns I chose, based on the scripture verses. We had to look at the last time the hymns had been sung, if at all. If they were new ones, we had to decide whether or not we thought the congregation could learn them. It was frusterating, because I had found some really good ones, scripturally, but we had to veto them because they were challenging for some reason or another. But it was a good insight as to what pastors have to do each time they start at a new church, or new lectionary year. And again, people who choose songs on a regular basis, MAJOR KUDOS to you.

Speaking of words that start with 'K,' I had fun learning the difference between kronos and kairos- two forms of what can be translated as time. It came up when PR and I were translating some of the verses into the original languages during sermon prep. From Acts 1:

4 While staying with them, he ordered them not to leave Jerusalem, but to wait there for the promise of the Father. "This," he said, "is what you have heard from me; 5 for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now." 6 So when they had come together, they asked him, "Lord, is this the time when you will restore the kingdom to Israel?" 7 He replied, "It is not for you to know the times or periods that the Father has set by his own authority.

Time translated is Kronos. Periods translated is Kairos.  Kronos is time like we understand it, whereas kairos is God time. If I remember it right, kronos is time as we move through it. We won't know the time, literally, but we also won't know kairos, or the universe, when He will return.

Another interesting thing I found out is the word we get the word 'zelot' from is the same word that, in Hebrew, means knife. So a zelot was someone who would literally kill for Christ. Scholars also believe that the Zelots were like a political party, so for Simon to be called Simon the Zelot (in Acts 1: 13) is interesting to me.

I hope you all are having a wonderful first week of June. As for me, it's HOT here in the mountains.

Peace be with you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment