About Me

My photo
This summer, I am an intern at Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church in Sylva, NC through Project Connect. I will be attempting to discern whether I am being called to public ministry (ie being a pastor). This blog will cover all sorts of things I learn about, things that I find interesting and decide to pass on. It will also be about other fun stuff I am doing here in the mountains :D

Sunday, June 26, 2011

As promised...

Here is the sermon I delivered this morning:

Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of our hearts be acceptable in thy sight, o Lord our rock and our redeemer.
Amen
In the Gospel reading today from Matthew, the word welcome is used four times within the first verse alone. Four. As I was preparing the sermon for today, that word kind of jumped out at me, just a little bit. So, what exactly does the word welcome mean?
+ It can mean a word of kindly greeting, such as: “Welcome Stranger!”
+ It can be a kindly greeting or reception, such as: to give someone a warm welcome.
+ Another way it is used is to receive or accept with pleasure, or to regard as pleasant or good: to welcome a change.
+ The final one the dictionary gave me was: agreeable, as something arriving, occurring, or experienced: A welcomed rest.
Looking at the word biblically, welcome has several of the same meanings. However the one that struck me as being the most encompassing of all the ideas is: to receive favorably, give ear to, embrace, make one's own, approve, not to reject. The last part of that definition is what really caught my eye: not to reject.
In the scripture, Jesus is talking with the twelve apostles. He is getting ready to send them out among the people of Israel. They are going out without food or plans of shelter. They are going out, counting on people to be welcoming, for people not to reject them.

The idea of hospitality in the days of Jesus was astounding. People were expected to provide for travelers coming through their land, just as they would be provided for while they were traveling.
I can relate a bit to the apostles and their feelings of worry and anxiety. Starting school at a university where I knew all of one person was really intimidating. I was worried that I wouldn’t fit in, worried that people would not approve of me; that they would reject me. What was even harder was finding a faith family in which I would be welcome.

As many of you know, I started attending Shepherd of the Hills back in January, at the beginning of the Spring Semester. What most of you may not know is that during the previous fall semester, I had tried out other campus ministries and churches in the area. All stated that they welcome everyone. However, looking at the definition, they did not. They did not try to embrace me. Though they did not verbally reject me, I could tell that they did not approve of me.
The first time I had an experience with members of this church was the first Lutheran Campus Ministries meeting after the start of the semester. Somehow, I had gotten it into my head that the dinner and meeting started at 6:30, not 6. So I arrived at about 6:10 to find Pastor Rosemary and the rest of the group about to bless the meal. As I tried to quietly slip in, Pastor Rosemary looks at me and says “Are you Tara? Come, join us! We’re just about to pray.”
I felt more welcome in the first thirty seconds of LCM than I had in a semester of some of the other campus ministries. After the blessing, I talked with Pastor Rosemary a little more to find out that one of my home pastors had contacted her and asked her to watch out for me.
I came that first Sunday to Shepherd of the Hills, not quite sure what to expect. Thankfully, you all were just as open and welcoming as everyone at LCM. That day, I learned more names after service during the fellowship time than I could remember! Everyone was interested in me, the student and fellow sister in Christ, and how they could help me.
Throughout the semester, everyone continued to be as welcoming as they had that first week. In fact, that is the reason I am here this summer. You all agreed to welcome me as I try and figure out what God is doing with my life.
Even as I have new and different ideas, such as signing parts of the worship service, my ideas are welcomed. The sign for welcome “welcome” really fits the concept of the word, in my opinion. The word is signed with a smile on the face and open body posture, giving the appearance of being happy to meet someone. The sign is very similar to quite a few other signs including “good” “accept” and “mine,” which all conceptually fit with the definition of welcome.
Jesus said “Whoever welcomes you welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me.” In today’s society, I feel like sometimes people focus on embracing only those people they feel are acceptable and have things to offer, rather than focusing on not rejecting anyone, even if they don’t seem to have much to share. Not too long ago, I read an article about a young man with cerebral palsy who was asked to leave the sanctuary and watch the service from a different part of the church. I greatly appreciate you allowing me to try and welcome everyone by signing.
The good news, though, is that even if all we can do to welcome someone is give them a place to rest and a glass of water, that even then, we will not lose our reward as long as we do it with good intentions.
Having said that, I would like to leave you all with a parting thought in the form of a song. It is called ‘I Saw a Stranger Today’ and is based upon the Celtic Rune of Hospitality. There is an insert with the lyrics on it in your bulletin.
Here's the lyrics:
I saw a stranger today; a poor man wandering my way.
I put food for him in the eating place, and drink in the drinking place
And music from a violin in the listening place.

And in the name of the Holy Trinity
He blessed myself, and my family
And the lark with her song seemed to say:
“Often, often, often goes Christ in a stranger’s guise.”

I saw a young girl today, and why she wept I could not say
In her slender arms lay an infant child; she herself a forgotten child
She clutched me as I wiped her eyes, and the young girl smiled.
And in the name of the Holy Trinity
She blessed myself, and my family
And the lark with her song seemed to say:
"Often, often, often goes Christ in a stranger’s guise.”
“Often, often, often goes Christ in a stranger’s guise.”
I saw a stranger today.
Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Tara, thanks for sharing. I liked the different definitions, and like you, "not to reject" struck me. While on earth and even now, Jesus welcomed everyone to himself, regardless of who they were or what they had done. The Pharisees thought He was crazy to even consider eating a meal with "sinners." Jesus calls us to have the same welcoming spirit He had.

    I am so thankful you have found such a welcoming church family. Such a blessing! Love you.

    ReplyDelete