About Me

My photo
This summer, I am an intern at Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church in Sylva, NC through Project Connect. I will be attempting to discern whether I am being called to public ministry (ie being a pastor). This blog will cover all sorts of things I learn about, things that I find interesting and decide to pass on. It will also be about other fun stuff I am doing here in the mountains :D

Friday, May 27, 2011

When it rains, it pours.

As I am sitting here, listening to the rain pounding the roof, I think about what it must have been like for Noah. We all know that "It rained for forty days and forty nights..." I use to think that it literally meant it rained for forty days and nights. Apparently, forty is one of those numbers in the Bible that has a different meaning. When the number forty is used, it basically means until. So, it rained until.

Until what?

Until every living thing had perished. Except Noah, his family, and the animals on the ark. Thinking back on it, I'm surprised that I wasn't more afraid the first time I heard that story, because God allowed EVERYTHING to die, except those few chosen.

The reason, I believe, that I wasn't as afraid is because of the final part of the story: the rainbow. It's kind of cool to think about how God's rainbow is like the bow of a soldier coming in from the war. The soldier hangs it on the wall, out of the way because the fight is over; he's not going to need it again. God hung the rainbow in the sky as a reminder to Himself of the covenant He made with all humanity and the earth: I will never destroy the earth through water again.

That really struck me, because I have always learned that the rainbow was a reminder to US, the humans, of God's covenant.

The rain's slowing up, so time to go spot some rainbows!

No comments:

Post a Comment