About Me

My photo
This summer, I am an intern at Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church in Sylva, NC through Project Connect. I will be attempting to discern whether I am being called to public ministry (ie being a pastor). This blog will cover all sorts of things I learn about, things that I find interesting and decide to pass on. It will also be about other fun stuff I am doing here in the mountains :D

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Day One: Almost Done

My first official day as an intern is almost over... well kinda. One of the first things that I have learned in the few short days that I have been with Pastor Rosemary is that even things you might not think of as ministry, such as sharing a meal with people in the community, is indeed ministry! Therefore, a pastor can easily be 'off the clock' but still be working, especially here in rural western North Carolina.

I arrived in Sylva mid-day on Monday, after five hours of driving. For someone who hasn't driven a lot, driving five hours was quite tiring, but I made it. After lunch with PR and Dee Dee, we all went back to the church and worked on things. PR and I discussed what my 'job' would entail, and then I helped Dee Dee finish putting together the bulletins. Dinner and then NCIS watching (debating happened as well... PR is pro-Ziva, whereas I am pro-Kate...) followed as well as an early bedtime.

Tuesday, we left Sylva around 10:30 for our drive to Columbia, SC. "What's in Columbia, SC" you may ask? Nothing other than the Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary, one of the three Lutheran Seminaries in the Eastern Cluster. LTSS was indeed our destination, for that is where the orientation for my internship was held. I shared a three-bedroom apartment with five other girls. Luckily, there were two twin beds in each room, so no one had to sleep on the couch.

It was a good orientation. I discovered that PR and I were the only two who were actually from the south. There were a lot of people from Pennsylvania. Like A LOT. And a number of the Pastor/Intern people had just met that day. I personally am glad that I had already had a chance to get to know Pastor Rosemary before my internship began. We had a leg up on some of the groups because we had already pretty much put together a learning covenant ahead of time through our discussions. I also already trust her, and know the congregation that I will be serving in. I know how they will respond to me and I know some of what the community needs are.

Tonight, I learned that there is truth behind the "Father Abraham had many sons, Many sons had Father Abraham, I am one of them and so are you, So let's all praise the Lord" and to be honest with you, it's a pretty simple answer. But if you don't know the back story to it, the meaning isn't as full as it could be.

To leave you all tonight, I have a thought for you:

The Muslim people are descendents of Ishmael;
The Jewish and Christian people are descendents of Issac.

Both Ishmael and Issac are brothers, albeit half-brothers. Their father was Abraham. But it means we, Arabs, Jews, and Christian, are all brothers and sisters. So, we, in our wars against each other, are fighting family. We are killing members of our own flesh and blood.

3 comments:

  1. You make quite a point Tara. I can already tell that I am going to enjoy reading your blog and following along in your summer journey. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have often thought the same thing, Tara. I am so glad you are blogging about your summer adventure as an intern. Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! Good first post!
    Looking forward to reading :)

    ReplyDelete