About Me

My photo
This summer, I am an intern at Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church in Sylva, NC through Project Connect. I will be attempting to discern whether I am being called to public ministry (ie being a pastor). This blog will cover all sorts of things I learn about, things that I find interesting and decide to pass on. It will also be about other fun stuff I am doing here in the mountains :D

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Things I'm Thankful for

So, back at the beginning of November, one of my Facebook friends started posting four things she was thankful for each day. At first, I was like "Oh that's cool." and went about my business for the day. A few days later, I was having a not so good day, and saw her list. Reading the simple things she was thankful for made me rethink my day, in particular the things that had happened that had brought me down. I then decided to try writing a list of my own. Coming up with four things would be really easy, or so I thought. It took me a few minutes to find four things I was truly thankful for, but once I had, those four things overshadowed the negative from the day.

Every day after that, before I went to bed, I would post on my facebook four things I was thankful for from that day. They ranged from rasberry flavored hot chocolate to great friends to hot showers. Small things that you wouldn't normally think about, to every day things like food and shelter. It didn't matter to me if others even read it, but writing them out helped me to remember to look for the good things happening every day.

People started noticing. I started getting comments mentioning how they loved to read my lists every day. One friend commented that "I think you're onto something." I then saw him start to post lists too. It was pretty awesome to see him start posting lists too.

Doing the lists have really helped me change my frame of mind. I have stopped focusing so much on the bad things that happen throughout the day. I may not continue posting all of my lists on Facebook, but I will definately continue thinking about the positive. Here's the list for today:

1) Friends
2) Family
3) Good food
4) playing cards

No comments:

Post a Comment