About Me

My photo
This summer, I am an intern at Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church in Sylva, NC through Project Connect. I will be attempting to discern whether I am being called to public ministry (ie being a pastor). This blog will cover all sorts of things I learn about, things that I find interesting and decide to pass on. It will also be about other fun stuff I am doing here in the mountains :D

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Not gonna lie...

Today's self-defense class was one of the best, and one of the worst I've had. It was great because I got to work one-on-one and go over what the person had questions or fears about. The bad thing was, there was just one person.

That's one of the things about working in such a small community. I had four or five people tell me that they were going to come, and in reality only one showed up. Things happen; stuff comes up. You have to be prepared for having one- or no one- show up for activities planned. I get that now, but it still kind of hurts.

We went over A LOT of different things, though. Basic formation of the fist for punches (fold pinky-forefinger down, thumb resting in between second and third knuckles) to frisbee escapes to running like heck. We covered car defense which was something I just learned about during the past semester in my RAD class and we talked about elevator defense (if you're wary- don't get in).

All in all, it was a good two hours spent. Even though there was just one other person, I showed her things that could help save her life. In my opinion, if I can help one person, then the time was not wasted.

- Peace

2 comments:

  1. Time was not wasted
    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will forever remember my elevator defense teachings!

    ReplyDelete